Tuesday, June 14, 2011

God of Justice

There are moments in life when I am outraged at the evil that exists in our world. I am angry when evil is allowed to triumph over good, when people are hurt and mistreated. I want justice. And I want to take justice into my own hands. And it is so hard to sit back and wait upon God.

We have just finished watching the Chronicles of Narnia trilogy as a family, and I must admit that I am quite taken with the story. I love the classic good versus evil plot, the all too human heroes who struggle with their own weaknesses, and where, despite all the odds, good always triumphs. I have to control my desire to yell at Peter when he hesitates, under the spell of the White Witch, and I cheer when Edmond finally destroys her hold over his brother. One of the reasons this story is so compelling is because, as believers, we have an innate desire for justice. We want to see evil defeated and good win.

One of the scenes that I can most relate to is in the second movie, Prince Caspian, when Peter decides that they have waited long enough for Aslan, the one who they KNOW can defeat the evil empire they are fighting. They have waited and waited and there is no sign of Aslan. And now they believe that it is up to them to fight the battle alone. So, under Peter's leadership, they forge ahead without the mighty lion. And suffer a terrible defeat. Many of their friends are slaughtered. When Aslan does finally arrive, the battle is handily won and the enemy is thwarted. If only they had waited.

How hard it is to wait! And yet, that is exactly what God has instructed me to do. There are things in life which are beyond my control. And I must trust HIM. He is a God of justice, and justice is His.

 6 And the heavens proclaim his righteousness, for he is a God of justice. Psalm 50:6

And while my inability to affect change often frustrates me, I know that He desires justice even more than I do, and that brings me comfort. Just as the children in Narnia know that Aslan can bring them victory, I already know how this story ends. When Christ returns, evil will finally be defeated, all the wrongs will be put right, and those who have suffered for His name's sake will be rewarded. And that's the best ending. EVER.

No comments:

Post a Comment