Thursday, January 22, 2009

Saying Goodbye

No matter how many times you move or have friends move away, it never seems to get any easier. In fact, it probably just gets harder, because you know that there will be the inevitable changes that come with distance. Although there are great tools for keeping in touch, such as Facebook and Skype, there is no true substitute for living life alongside someone.

This has been a tough week. I am once again saying good-bye to a dear friend. I am finding this particular parting to be especially difficult for many reasons, none of which I can adequately describe here. But, as I experience the sadness that comes with her rapidly approaching departure, I keep coming back to 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18.


16Be joyful always; 17pray continually; 18give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

Although this may seem like an odd verse to be meditating upon, I have found great comfort in its truth. The only way that I can give thanks in all circumstances is by relying upon my knowledge of God's character: He is good; He is loving; He has a plan for my life; He knows my needs, my hurts, my wants, and He cares about me. Knowing this, I can trust Him. I can trust that He has a plan for my friend, and that she is being obedient by pursuing that plan. And, there is much to be thankful for: thankful that she is one of my dearest friends; thankful that we've shared many cherry pastries together; thankful that she was there for me in one of the hardest times of my life; thankful for the other friends I still have near me to lean up as I go through this. I am thankful, too, for email, Facebook and Skype, which will help us to keep in touch despite the distance. I am grateful that she is moving to a great city that is fairly convenient to travel to. And most of all, I'm thankful for Jesus, who is always present and never changing. When everything else around me is in flux, He is always constant, and I can depend upon Him for every need. Finally, I am thankful that one day, all of my sisters in Christ and I will have eternal chat sessions where the only tears are tears of joy and laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment